Under design/build, the Owner enters into a contract with Unger for both design and construction services. Unger carries the design team as consultants. The Owner manages only one contract with a single point of responsibility. The designer and contractor work together from the beginning, as a team, providing unified project recommendations to fit the Owner's schedule and budget. Any changes are addressed by the entire team, leading to collaborative problem-solving and innovation, not excuses or blame-shifting. While single-source contracting is the fundamental difference between design-build and the old ways, equally important is the culture of collaboration inherent in design-build.
Project cost and schedule duration are critical factors to all clients. The best way to control these variables during the design phase is to bring your contractor on early to partner with you and your design team.
Our preconstruction team will develop a realistic budget and schedule early in the planning phase and then help your team stay on target as decisions are made throughout the design phase.
• Develop accurate preliminary estimates for your business planning
• Establish and maintain detailed project schedule: design, permitting, and construction
• Work with utility companies to plan on-site and off-site improvements
• Prepare cost/benefit studies for the building structure, MEP systems, and finishes
• Identify prefab opportunities that can reduce cost and timeline
• Update estimate reports as the design progresses to stay on target
• Provide input on constructability and plan coordination
• Develop logistics, phasing, and safety plans to ensure continuation of business during construction
During construction, our project team will continue to manage project cost and drive the schedule. Upfront planning and continuous communication with our trade partners allow us to ensure the overall quality of the final product and the safety of everyone involved in the project. We take pride in our talented field crews and our ability to self-perform concrete, framing, equipment installation, doors, frames, and hardware.
And no project is truly finished until all systems have been tested, commissioned, and signed off by the agency having authority. We work upfront with the design team, testing agencies, and area inspectors to plan for all steps necessary during construction and to ensure timely final sign-off and occupancy of your project.